Monday, November 8, 2010

Are You Gonna Eat That?

I was driving in my car today and saw something that makes me laugh every time I see it.  I think I have even talked to people before about how odd I think these things are.  Edible arrangements.  While writing this, I do not know how much I actually have to say about it, but the whole concept of giving someone an edible arrangement seems awkward and strange.  I mean, who thought that this idea was important enough to market?  I know flowers die, but at least they are pretty and it always feels good to receive them.  When would one want an edible arrangement?  What circumstance would warrant one?  When someone dies?  "Sorry to hear about your mother dying.  But, here!  I bought you this edible arrangement!!  It's fruit!  You can eat it!"  Hmmmmm...  "Congratulations on the arrival of your baby!!  Here, have an edible arrangement!!"  Nope, uh uh.  "I love you.  You are my rock.  I want to spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy.  And to show you how much I love you, I bought you this edible arrangement."  ??????  I'm sorry, but if my husband ever bought me an edible arrangement, I think I would shove it up his ass.  And I certainly wouldn't want one as a sympathy gift.  I can just picture someone's face as they receive their arrangement.  "Oh, my.  Why thank you...what a beautiful arrangement Honey.  I was kinda hoping for diamonds...but this is so much better!!"  Meh.  Do people really love fruit so much that this is necessary in life?  It's fucking weird!!  I honestly can not think of a time when it is appropriate.  Ever.  EVER.  FUCKING EVER.    
     Okay, okay.  Now I know that sometimes people use these for events, but here's the thing.  Edible arrangements are not exactly the cheapest thing on the planet.  And I am willing to bet that even if you had one for each table at your wedding or baby shower or Bar Mitzvah, or whatever, the guests probably wouldn't eat off of it.  So, all that time and money could have gone into something so much more useful.  Anything.  Anything would be more useful.  Even if you just threw some whole fruit up on that bitch.  Because it doesn't matter how much you dress it up, it's still just a shitload of fruit.             

No comments:

Post a Comment