Saturday, January 22, 2011

Isn't 7 Just A Made Up Number?

Saturday mornings I run with a group about 15 minutes away from my house.  They start at 7 a.m.  Let me be perfectly clear.  Getting up early enough to be anywhere by 7 a.m. is like death to me.  It is one of the many reasons I chose to homeschool my children.  I couldn't imagine trying to get up and get them ready to be at the bus by 7 in the morning.  But, once a week isn't so bad and it gets me out running with a group of peeps that have a common goal.  However, this morning I was ill prepared.  My running clothes were down in the laundry room instead of being on my chair in the bedroom where they should be, I couldn't find a long sleeve shirt to wear under my jacket, I almost left my running hat upstairs and to top it off, I was only able to find one of my running shoes.  I had a vague recollection of my 5 year old walking around my living room wearing my shoes, but could not remember where she had taken them, and could not find the match to my one ANYWHERE.  It was right then and there that I decided daily beatings are in order.  That will teach my kids to play with my shit.
      Anyway, after deciding that not going was absolutely NOT an option, I pulled my old pair of shoes out of the closet and set out for my daily dose of cardio.  When I got in my car, the temperature read 11 degrees.  "That can't be right.  11 fuckin' degrees.  No way.  Once the air gets moving through the car, it will change."  And change it did.  It went DOWN.  By the time I reached my destination, the temperature had reached 7.  7 degrees.  7?  For fuckin' realz?  Am I really running in 7 degree weather at 7 in the morning?  Who is this crazy ass bitch, and what has she done with the old me?  What I found even crazier is that there were 4 other people there waiting to get their run on, one of which had already run 5 miles.  Did I mention that I smoke crack on a regular basis?  So, after I put my crack pipe back in the car, we started out.  I thought that once I started running I would warm up and forget that it was only 7 degrees.  Boy, I must be dumber than I thought because no matter what activity you do, cold is fucking cold.  Internally I felt okay and all the parts of my body that were covered by my bra, running tank, tech shirt and coat were fine.  But every body part that did not have more than one layer felt like it was being stabbed over and over and over again by little needles.  Also, I am pretty sure my nose has become permanently frozen as I do not own a face mask.  Why would I?  It would take thought and planning on my part to purchase such an item.  My plan was to run 5 miles.  I did actually reach my goal.  But only because I was afraid if I slowed down or stopped, my face would break off.
     Now I have been home for about an hour and a half and I can not get warm.  I immediately stripped off my sweaty ass clothes and changed into pajamas and a sweatshirt, but it didn't make a difference.  I allowed freezing cold, 7 degree weather to penetrate my body.  I am predicting to not warm up until somewhere around June.  Oddly, I know this experience will not make me smarter and will not teach me a lesson.  I will continue to run on Saturday mornings without checking the weather and will probably never dress accordingly.  Because I am a crack whore who is completely invincible.  And don't you forget it.    

4 comments:

  1. Found you over at Studio 30. I run too but have decided if it gets below 25 I won't run outside, just on the treadmill. Plus, there's too much ice right now. I do have a horse at an unheated barn. So, when it's 7 degrees outside it's not lots better inside. I have had days that I feel like my hands and feet are going to fall off. Once you get chilled to the core it's so hard to finally warm up again. Winter really needs to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALMOST stopped reading after I read, "I run." Then when I saw, "7 degrees." I admire you and think you are insane. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am most definitely insane. And maybe a little ignorant for not looking at the weather report before I go out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 or 70 degrees, I am no runner. I admire runners but cannot ever seem to get my head "in the zone" as I have heard runners refer to it. Yoga for hours, elliptical even longer, no problem. I just can't or refuse to run unless I am being chased by something big and scary that could cause irreparable bodily harm. Enjoyed the post though, also found you via the awesome Studio30Plus Sunday Mag.

    ReplyDelete